Triumph 1050 Or Triumph 1200 Explorer. Anyone Ride Either?

TODDFFF

Well I decided after many days on the net ( and a hammering by the wife) to get a suzuki Vstrom. They were offering free panniers with the purchase of the bike for a limited time. Granted they normally cost $1600 to purchase and are crappy side cases but several dealers offered to take $1100 off the price of the bike. I contacted Clinton county motorsports and talked to kent. He gave me a price on the bike then I wanted to add a few accessories to it. He told me they can not discount the parts as they were a different entity than the dealership so I figured whatever. Then I asked them to see if they would take the money for the cases off the bike and they reluctantly agreed. It took me 1 1/2 hours to drive up there and when there we proceeded to take a very cold test drive and I liked the bike and was set to purchase. I brought a stack of $100 bills so I didn't need financing so it should be easy. We went over and looked at the accessories and agreed what was included was over priced or not what was requested so I asked him to go back to the original price quote before the accessories and he said no problem. I told him I would take it and to write it up. I went with the cute little girl to look at helmets as I need a new expensive one and some cold weather gear. The general manager came over with the paperwork and it didn't seem right so we went over the numbers. It didn't add up and asked why. He told me since I didn't take the over priced accessories, I would have to pay MSRP for the bike but they would still take off the cost of the panniers. I told him I was paying full price for the accessories, reminded him I was told the parts department was a separate entity and was already quoted this price before driving 1 1/2 hours up there. His response was he called the sales manager and he wasn't going to lose money on a bike. WTF? I aske how was he going to lose money by by honoring the original deal he approved? Then changing the deal by charging me MSRP and getting the funds from suzuki? The difference was only $367 but I walked out over principal and was surprised they let me walk.

I guess it may have been fate but a triumph tiger 1200 came up on Craigslist with everything I wanted on it, only had 480 miles on it and I got it for $5000 less than the new one I was looking at. The guy bought it for his wife and she hated how tall it was and he already had another one for himself. I love the bike and think I will be happier with this one over the Suzuki.

• 5 months later...

Well I decided after many days on the net ( and a hammering by the wife) to get a suzuki Vstrom. They were offering free panniers with the purchase of the bike for a limited time. Granted they normally cost $1600 to purchase and are crappy side cases but several dealers offered to take $1100 off the price of the bike. I contacted Clinton county motorsports and talked to kent. He gave me a price on the bike then I wanted to add a few accessories to it. He told me they can not discount the parts as they were a different entity than the dealership so I figured whatever. Then I asked them to see if they would take the money for the cases off the bike and they reluctantly agreed. It took me 1 1/2 hours to drive up there and when there we proceeded to take a very cold test drive and I liked the bike and was set to purchase. I brought a stack of $100 bills so I didn't need financing so it should be easy. We went over and looked at the accessories and agreed what was included was over priced or not what was requested so I asked him to go back to the original price quote before the accessories and he said no problem. I told him I would take it and to write it up. I went with the cute little girl to look at helmets as I need a new expensive one and some cold weather gear. The general manager came over with the paperwork and it didn't seem right so we went over the numbers. It didn't add up and asked why. He told me since I didn't take the over priced accessories, I would have to pay MSRP for the bike but they would still take off the cost of the panniers. I told him I was paying full price for the accessories, reminded him I was told the parts department was a separate entity and was already quoted this price before driving 1 1/2 hours up there. His response was he called the sales manager and he wasn't going to lose money on a bike. WTF? I aske how was he going to lose money by by honoring the original deal he approved? Then changing the deal by charging me MSRP and getting the funds from suzuki? The difference was only $367 but I walked out over principal and was surprised they let me walk.

I guess it may have been fate but a triumph tiger 1200 came up on Craigslist with everything I wanted on it, only had 480 miles on it and I got it for $5000 less than the new one I was looking at. The guy bought it for his wife and she hated how tall it was and he already had another one for himself. I love the bike and think I will be happier with this one over the Suzuki.

So now that you have had the bike for a few months, how do you like it? I have been considering one of these or the 800XC but I am concerned with the comfort for my wife when she rides with me. I absolutely love my Sprint ST1050 and like many others have said, the motor is flawless. I am just under 40k on it now with zero problems. 

So now that you have had the bike for a few months, how do you like it? I have been considering one of these or the 800XC but I am concerned with the comfort for my wife when she rides with me. I absolutely love my Sprint ST1050 and like many others have said, the motor is flawless. I am just under 40k on it now with zero problems.

Love it! The power is almost scary but the ride is almost as smooth as the wing but rides like a sports bike. The wife was shocked when I finally talked her into getting on it how comfortable it was. The bike is way more comfortable than the 1050's I tried out and since it is considered a dual purpose bike, the insurance is cheaper than a new 1050. Going from a goldwing to this bike took some getting used to but after a littler tweaking, I am almost there. I didn't like the reach or leaning to the handlebars as much ( though not bad just wanted a change) so I did the ROX risers, I am doing a new windsheild, got the soft bag for the rear end for gear. You might want a top box so she can lean on it like a back rest. Forward pegs will be added soon as well and a lot of gas!

Go to triumph of Cincinnati and talk to Lou as he is a great guy to deal with and tell him the gun guy sent you!