Triumph 1050 Or Triumph 1200 Explorer. Anyone Ride Either?

TODDFFF

I am in a delema. I have a goldwing GL1800 and have a love hate relationship with it. I like that when I ride with other GL guys it has the CB, stereo for cruising long distances and the power is great. The downside is it is really heavy and 90% of where/when I ride is twisties and grind pegs or I have to flip up my highway bars. My driveway is thick gravel and have to ride through the yard just to get it to the street. I don't ride as much as I would like to as so far it is 2 to 3,000 miles a season hoping for more. The wife doesn't ride with me anymore so I do not really need such a monster but it is still a nice beautiful ride.

I stopped by and looked at the Honda, Kawi, Suzuki and Yamaha dual sport bikes and then stopped by the Triumph dealer. I really liked the Triumph tiger 800 but it seemed to put me in a forward tilt and seemed it would get uncomfortable. The XC had the larger front tire which helped greatly but for the extra money and the fact I really do not like spoked wheels is kinda killing that idea. I know they are better off road wheels but we had quads for years and my heavy off roading days are most likely over. I thought about risers to help the riding position and then I sat on the explorer. It felt very nice, I like the fact it was shaft drive, throttle was fly by wire with cruise control and deffinately had some power. Very nice bike but the price difference between the 800 and 1200 seems large for what you get but still liked it.

Now comes in the Triumph 1050. I have a chance to buy a 2007, with 17,000+ miles, center stand, Triumph hard bags and mirror extenders, the bike is in excellent shape from what I can tell. The guy is set on $6500. I have never sat on one or rode it yet ( he lives 3 HRS away) but have read tons of reviews on them. The downside of reviews is they are paid to write them and can be biased. The other thing that concerns me is when I search for the 1050's for sale, all of the 2007's have about the same milage on them. Either people bought them for commuters and found out it isnt a good idea to commute everyday on one or just don't have the time to ride like me. It could also be that is standard miles for that kind of ride?

Now to the main delema. I really like the explorer but I would either have to trade in or sell the wing and add $5000 to $7000 to get it or I could settle and keep the wing and buy the 1050 and try to find room to store them.

Anyone have experience with a 1050?

Multistradas are garbage, anyway. Everyone knows that... especially the new, uglier version. :)

I like the 1200 Explorer. It's not terribly heavier than the 800, and has the benefit of shaft drive for touring. The Tiger 1050 is a cool bike, but if I had the option... I'd buy the Explorer in a second. It would have to be the XC, though.

I just see so many 1050's with low miles and it scared me and I would have to give up the wing to get the explorer. So why the XC version? Since we work together at the house, the wife bought me the wing to go away and encourages me to go on trips.

It is true I don't miss chains. My VStar had shaft drive as well as the wing. I like to work on our guns and can put them together blindfolded but hate to work on my vehicles so I am a freak on matinence. Easier the better.

I wouldn't be worried about the mileage. There are a ton of motorcycles that never get ridden like the owners think they will. I'd say a large percent never even hit 10k before being totaled.

I looked at one but it looked bigger and for about the same price I could get the explorer.

Good read....although I have seen other comparisons with the Tenere coming out on top. Dealer support to me is also something to consider, you just will not get that nearly as well with Triumph.

http://www.ridermagazine.com/road-tests/comparison-2012-triumph-tiger-explorer-vs-2012-yamaha-super-tenere.htm/

Edited by Pokey

10k valve adjustments would suck too

Luckily we have two Triumph dealers around and I have a customer who will trade guns or ammo to work on things for me.

I am still up in the air about the 1050.

1050 is a motor what bike are you talking about? Tiger, Sprint, Speed Triple? The motor itself is great. Isn't bothered by low rpm cruising and isn't so tightly wound that there is ever a surge of power. It just pulls. I've heard complaints about about the trans being clunky. Mine is butter smooth.

On the tigers the only big change I see being made are bar swaps and that's just to make them fit the rider better. Sprints not much gets changed maybe bar risers. Speed Triple defiantly needs aftermarket seat.

The problem with getting a Triumph is parts and service. From Oxford you have Joes, kick ass support (see sig). Triumph of cincy. I have heard nothing real positive about them. But they are new so growing pains probably. Tons of online stuff if your a DIY kinda guy. Just don't get in a hurry bikebandit takes 2 weeks to get parts to even ship. Oh the recomended oil in the older bikes is a castrol 4t.only available from the dealership. And its $80 a gallon. Post warranty I would go amsoil myself.

The new Tigers and 800xc I would ask on britrider.com most of those guys have them and will be fairly honest about them.

1050 is a motor what bike are you talking about? Tiger, Sprint, Speed Triple? The motor itself is great. Isn't bothered by low rpm cruising and isn't so tightly wound that there is ever a surge of power. It just pulls. I've heard complaints about about the trans being clunky. Mine is butter smooth.

On the tigers the only big change I see being made are bar swaps and that's just to make them fit the rider better. Sprints not much gets changed maybe bar risers. Speed Triple defiantly needs aftermarket seat.

The problem with getting a Triumph is parts and service. From Oxford you have Joes, kick ass support (see sig). Triumph of cincy. I have heard nothing real positive about them. But they are new so growing pains probably. Tons of online stuff if your a DIY kinda guy. Just don't get in a hurry bikebandit takes 2 weeks to get parts to even ship. Oh the recomended oil in the older bikes is a castrol 4t.only available from the dealership. And its $80 a gallon. Post warranty I would go amsoil myself.

The new Tigers and 800xc I would ask on britrider.com most of those guys have them and will be fairly honest about them.

Thanks Anden for the info.

I was talking about the triumph 1050 tiger and I should have put it in the post. I keep hearing about the 12,000 service and was wondering if it is a big deal or not and do not know yet if it was done on the used bike I am looking at. Unfortunately I am not a good mechanic and do not like working on any of my rides. If it took a pro 2+ hrs to change the air filter on my wing, I just can't imagine what it would take me! Fortunately since I sell firearms and ammo and we have a lot of talented customers who have more time than money for their hobby.

• 2 weeks later...

I ride a 2010 Tiger 1050SE, love the bike wouldn't trade it for anything.

I am looking at a couple of them now. Both are 2007 models no ABS. One has 30,000, it is white ( the color I prefer) new chain and sprocket. Why a chain and sprocket at that milage? And the other is a black one with only 18,000 miles and has never had anything done to it. They both have the hard bags on them and different aftermarket options but same price. Is there anything I need to look at or for on them?

I am looking at a couple of them now. Both are 2007 models no ABS. One has 30,000, it is white ( the color I prefer) new chain and sprocket. Why a chain and sprocket at that milage? And the other is a black one with only 18,000 miles and has never had anything done to it. They both have the hard bags on them and different aftermarket options but same price. Is there anything I need to look at or for on them?

You kidding me, many need done in half that mileage. That is unreal mileage out of a chain and sprockets, as long as they were not bordering unsafe before replacing.

You kidding me, many need done in half that mileage. That is unreal mileage out of a chain and sprockets, as long as they were not bordering unsafe before replacing.

Not kidding you. The last two bikes I have had were shaft drive and never changed a chain on any of the quads we had granted we didn't rack up the miles on those.

I am 48, not a speed demon and feel mortal. What would be the life of a chain on a 1050 be? What do they cost to change?

Thank all of you for your time!

Not kidding you. The last two bikes I have had were shaft drive and never changed a chain on any of the quads we had granted we didn't rack up the miles on those.

I am 48, not a speed demon and feel mortal. What would be the life of a chain on a 1050 be? What do they cost to change?

Thank all of you for your time!

Yeah I saw you owned a shafty. A good chain is upwards to $100 and front and rear sprocket will run roughly $50 for both together. If doing yourself you will need a chain rivot tool, otherwise I am sure somebody here could help and save you from going to a dealer. I don't see any reason why you shouldn't get a minimum of 17k on a chain, keeping them properly adjusted and lubed is the secret.

I have two Triumphs, but neither is a 1050, so I don't have direct experience. But my older Triumph has 92,000 miles on it and has never had a major problem. The two people I know who had Tiger 1050s had no issues and the bikes stood up to some abuse. In my opinion (I'm not a mechanic), those three-cylinder engines of that era are overbuilt. I wouldn't worry much about mileage, low or high. On my older Triumph, I soon found that the 12,000-mile valve interval was overly conservative. They never needed adjustment that often.

I understand your dilemma. The Gold Wing is nice, but I would never choose it for a one-up tour. And less so if I lived on a gravel road. The Explorer is a good bike and it has the shaft drive you want, but only you can decide if it's worth the extra money to you. That's a personal decision based largely on finances.

Ordinarily I would say keep the Wing and add the cheaper used Tiger, on the belief that two complementary bikes are always better than one more expensive one. But since you're only riding 3,000 miles or so a year, that would be pretty low mileage split between two bikes and probably would not feel satisfactory to you.

I guess in all that the only useful thing I have to add is don't be afraid of the Tiger 1050.

Thanks for the input guys.

I was hoping to not sell the wing and get the second bike. Just to see if there was intrest, I put it out front of the house and sure enough two people stopped and looked at it and the second person wants to buy it! I have to go tomorrow and sign it away with some regret as I really liked the wing. But I guess it is time to move on to something I am sure I will like better.

I have sold some guns and ammo to get extra cash for the new bike. I am close to the money I need for the explorer but then I will need accessories like a top box or side boxes for stuff, taller windscreen and find a way to hear music ( a near must when I ride) and a way to attach a CB for talking to the old guys on the wings when we ride together. Should I go aftermarket for the boxes or try to work a deal with the dealership? Anyone use the factory boxes on their bikes?