Anyone Else Get Called Paranoid For Prepping

speedytriple

So does anyone besides me here get picked on for your get home bag or a bug out bag? Seems the majority of people think i am nuts for having these and a small supply of dried foods and lots of water stored up?

Edited by speedytriple

People who aren't prepared will call you paranoid. :p  then they'll go home and prepare a little bit.   Besides, wouldn't you rather get called paranoid and have food and water in case something terrible happened than be that idiot that who stares at their smart phone for 18 hours a day and has no clue how to operate in the event of a disaster?  I would.

You probably earned the label.  It can be overdone.  Having said that I do keep 50+ gallons of drinking water in the house in case of water issues or emergencies.  I'm not prepping for the end of times, and neither should you...

I thought my accountant was nuts when he moved to a militant compound in Idaho to get ready for the end.  In that case the end was Y2K.  He recently moved back.  I still think he's a little nuts.

Keeping water and food on hand is a good idea for a power outage or a boil alert.  But if you have some fantasy about being armed, defending your rations from your less prepared neighbors...yes you're nuts.   

Edited by Tpoppa

having an emergency supply isnt crazy if you ask me.

Being on Doomsday preppers IS somewhat crazy. The older I get though, the more I think who gives a fuck what other people do if its not harmful to themselves or the general public. If it makes them happy to do these things then so be it

• Upvote 2

Yes, you are crazy.  

I have absolutely nothing for when emergencies happen...no water, no food, no spare gas for a 26Kw generator.....but I have a $hitload of guns and ammunition to protect my home and family.

It is more crazy to let people know what you have stockpiled, so that when the SHTF, more people will know where "stuff" is being stored....

• Upvote 2

Yes, you are crazy.  

I have absolutely nothing for when emergencies happen...no water, no food, no spare gas for a 26Kw generator.....but I have a $hitload of guns and ammunition to protect my home and family.

It is more crazy to let people know what you have stockpiled, so that when the SHTF, more people will know where "stuff" is being stored....

I love when people post on Facebook every new gun they buy. Makes the SHTF shopping list easy. 

• Upvote 1

Trust me the neighbors don't know what I have. I am no where near a doomsday  prepper. I have enough dried food and water to last the six people in my home about 30 days. I have guns and ammo that I will not disclose to any  neighbor. I also have water filtration good for a sustained time. It is funny that most people would have to run to a store in a emergency for supplies and face the mobs to get them. I keep enough gas on hand to travel or run a genny for awhile. I think that I am gonna keep bulking up on dried foods and water. 

People who thought the patriot act was a doorway to domestic spying were considered paranoid once. Do I think something is going to happen that will warrant the use of emergency supplies? No. That doesn't mean being prepared for it is paranoid or crazy. 

• Upvote 2

I'm not as prepared as I'd like to be, but there's no harm in being ready for whatever might happen. It's not so much crazy as it is phobic, imo. There are folks out there that spend hundreds of thousands ( or more ) on underground bunkers, piles of weaponry, rations for years, and months of training/drills.....apparently they either have a lot to live for, or their OCD has NO bounds :D

I don't really see a way to be truly prepared for all catastrophic events since prepper products are no good if they're submerged and swept away in a flood, or burnt to dust from nuclear attack. What I do agree with is if you've got the funds to invest into being more prepared, it's a virtual insurance that would surely increase your chances of survival. So, I agree with the prepper mentality to "some" degree.....but only within my means. I believe preparedness should be used to sustain life at some point, not become one's lifestyle

Edited by Hellmutt
  • Upvote 1

Who gives a rats ass what anybody thinks in a negative way, its your life and your preparedness just might save your ass someday. Doomsday shit is dumb IMHO, put more power to them who choose to do so. Having a good stockpile of goods that have a long shelf life, plenty of drinking water or means to get fresh drinking water, plenty of ammo, and survival bags for family members is a very smart thing. I need to get my ass in gear, although I am not a total slacker.

• Upvote 2

Earthquake Fire: San Francisco, April 1906

The Big Burn: Idaho and Montana, August 1910

Spanish Flu Pandemic: 1918

Tri-State Tornado: Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, March 1925

The New England Hurricane: New York, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Vermont, September 1938

Great Alaskan Earthquake and Tsunami: Alaska, March 1964

Super Tornado Outbreak: Miss. and Ohio River Valleys, April 1974

Mount St. Helens Eruption: Washington, May 1980

Superstorm: Eastern and Central U.S., March 1993

Hurricane Katrina: New Orleans, August 2005

And for the future...

40-Mile-Long Mudslide, Washington State

80-Ft.-High Tsunami, Atlantic Coast

Magnitude 6.9 Earthquake, Mississippi River Valley

195-MPH Hurricane, Florida

Climate-Changing Ocean Disruption, North Atlantic (This one changes life as we know it, bringing most of the Northern hemisphere into a new epoch.)

It's only a matter of time and place. Sort of like a lottery of disaster. Choose wisely.

Realize that most lottery players are losers.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=greatest+american+disasters

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_disasters_in_the_United_States_by_death_toll

http://genealogy.about.com/od/historic_disasters/tp/deadliest_us.htm

http://www.popularmechanics.com/outdoors/survival/stories/10-disasters

http://www.livescience.com/11365-10-worst-natural-disasters.html

I read a synopsis of potentually what would happen with a failure of the communications satellites in orbit. Basically what would happen with a large solar flare. All communications stopped within 30 days, a cascade failure of an overloaded communications system. No phone or internet. Supply chains failed. Deliveries failed. Utilities started shutting down and failing. No fuel or food or services. World economies collapsed. Everything changed, and nothing would ever be the same for a long long time.

This isn't the one that I read from NASA, but it's close enough:

National Geographic: What If the Biggest Solar Storm on Record Happened Today?

You probably earned the label.  It can be overdone.  Having said that I do keep 50+ gallons of drinking water in the house in case of water issues or emergencies.  I'm not prepping for the end of times, and neither should you...

Yeah everyone does, Its called a water heater or toilet tank..