Help With Wiring Leds On Sv650

silentcropduster

I have a 2005 SV 650s that I would like to add some LED's.

I bought this 12v distro block: http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=162140

So it has an in line fuse and so I can also add extra accessories later.

being that said....the 1st picture in the install instructions (where you use the posi-tap) on my bike that white terminal isnt being used. It has an after market fender eliminator kit.

I'm not sure which wire to tap.

Any suggestions?

Red to +12 on battery

Black to ground on battery

Blue to live wire when ignition on.

Looks like this goes to the relay to activate it.

So you could tap into any wire that is live with the key on.

With that said even if the wire isn't being used it should still be live.

they say "While the clip on the small white connector is on top, tap the wire to the left. See picture below."

6970155121_8b3f4a2d8a.jpg

Notice the connector only fits one way. Do like they say and hold it right side up.

Which if I'm seeing this correctly is really a brown wire before the connector and a black wire after.

Which I'm guessing is what used to go to the stock license plate light. If so, tap into the brown wire.

The other one, black with a white stripe is the ground side of the license plate light.

Or tap into the gray fat wire in the three wire connector as that is your tail light +12.

Black with white stripe wire in the three wire connector is ground

White with the black stripe is your brake light

Double check the directions to make sure I'm understanding the wiring correctly but it looks pretty straight forward.

Hope this helps

Edited by Strictly Street

I thought it was the PAIR connecter also, but no guts to say so.

Good place to connect the relay trigger. (Always hot w/ key on.)

LEDs pull nothing, heated clothing will max out your system.

Your svrider forum says 300 watt stator output with about 115 watts of it available for extra stuff.

edit: Check service manual for accurate output watts.

That won't be enough for heated jacket and pants. Probably only one or the other.

Might get some gloves/grips or socks with it. Add up the numbers first.

Mine will output 380 watts, and that will barely run full heated gear. More likely not quite.

On the other hand, most bikes don't even get up to the 300 watts, so it's decent enough.

I probably wouldn't add any more than a heated vest under jacket and grips/grip covers to mine.

edit: and yeah, BMWs put out 580-600 watts.

Edited by ReconRat

I thought it was the PAIR connecter also, but no guts to say so.

Good place to connect the relay trigger. (Always hot w/ key on.)

LEDs pull nothing, heated clothing will max out your system.

Your svrider forum says 300 watt stator output with about 115 watts of it available for extra stuff.

That won't be enough for heated jacket and pants. Probably only one or the other.

Might get some gloves/grips or socks with it. Add up the numbers first.

Mine will output 380 watts, and that will barely run full heated gear. More likely not quite.

On the other hand, most bikes don't even get up to the 300 watts, so it's decent enough.

I probably wouldn't add any more than a heated vest under jacket and grips/grip covers to mine.

edit: and yeah, BMWs put out 580-600 watts.

After another look it has to be the license plate light.

The three wire connector has to be the tail/brake light.

Take a gander at the wire color change after the connector.

After another look it has to be the license plate light.

The three wire connector has to be the tail/brake light.

Take a gander at the wire color change after the connector.

Also a good relay connection. Can't say how many times a wiring harness doesn't match the colors in the diagram printout.

I'm also considering buying 2 small strips of red ones (would cost me like $3.00) to put by the rear brake light to help illuminate it better at night. Only problem is the brake or park light is always on but just gets brighter when i hit the brakes.

any thoughts?

I'm also considering buying 2 small strips of red ones (would cost me like $3.00) to put by the rear brake light to help illuminate it better at night. Only problem is the brake or park light is always on but just gets brighter when i hit the brakes.

any thoughts?

On the three wire connector.

Tthe gray fat wire in the three wire connector as that is your tail light +12.

White with the black stripe is your brake light +12.

Edited by Strictly Street

On the three wire connector.

Tthe gray fat wire in the three wire connector as that is your tail light +12.

White with the black stripe is your brake light +12.

SO the red positive and back ground get hooked up where? All I'm wanting to do is use the red LED's when I hit the brakes to make it more illuminated.

Can you please explain this is in dumb people terms :-p

if so take the striped LED wire and connected it to the black/white wire on the harness and take the solid wire and connected it to the white/black wire on the harness, it will run with just the taillight but when you hit the brake the LEDs will come on.....and I hate my laptop for accidently selecting to quote this.

Edited by Kmanlyst

if so take the striped LED wire and connected it to the black/white wire on the harness and take the solid wire and connected it to the white/black wire on the harness, it will run with just the taillight but when you hit the brake the LEDs will come on.....and I hate my laptop for accidently selecting to quote this.

Gotcha, do u want some red LED's? (assuming I dont mess the 1st two up! But, I ordered 4 strips that have 9 LED's in each. was like $8