Harbor Freight 420cc 8750 Watts Max/7000 Watts Rated Portable Generator. Normally $699, On Sale For $499

Casper

The most important part of a generator is the motor.  I wouldn't buy one without a motor manufacturer I trusted.

I bought a Ridgid generator last year with a Subaru motor.  I would also consider a Honda or Yamaha powered generator.

Much better choice:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Homelite-5-700-Watt-Gasoline-Powered-Portable-Generator-UT905700/203138130?N=1z0y3ztZ1z0y3ziZ1z0y3yl

Edited by Tpoppa

I can attest that the motor has a ton to do with it, especially as you get to these higher W gennys.  I.E. we had a Harbor Freight 5,500W 6,500W surge, and it ran more like the 3,000W Champion I have now.  Definitely was underpowered when it was said and done.

However, I will say this Predator brand is coming around, we are seeing more and more at the races, but I still have my Champion for 299 and never plan to replace it, unless I upgrade and give it to my parents.  But probably would just buy another and give them the old one.  They changed the design on it to make it more sleek etc.

The Home Depot one is VERY common, I can think of 5 that I saw just around our camp last weekend, and its loud as all get out, BUT it's god a Yammy motor.  My friend runs an OLD Yammy, probably 90's model, in his toter and it powers everything we use to work on the car.  Issue is if it isn't cool out or fully pulled out on the genny rack it overheats as it is next to the compressor.  Not really an issue on either of these, BUT it can still happen to the best.

If you are going whole house, either one would work, they probably have similar HP engies in the end, the CCs are different for sure, BUT that isnt all that matters.

FWIW the old Harbor Freight genny we ran could barely power 2 trailer AC units, fridges, and lights etc.  The new Champion genny, although half the power can power all of that so long as we don't surge them all at the same time.  Start one AC for 10 mins, then plug in the other trailer, and it works fine.  Did that for 3 straight days 3 years ago and no issues, just burnt a little more fuel.

If you do go with it, I think for what you are looking for you'd be happy, but in the end the power difference vs a bigger brand that is smaller for same price, like what Troppa showed you, wouldn't be bad either.  And would probably last longer in the end.

You can always build a shelter out of cheap plywood and insulation for around the genny too.  I would if I really cared or thought the Champions were loud, but I definitely don't and we've had no issues.  We did have a tent camper cut the genny wires on the HF one one though.  Lucky for him we didn't notice until we got home, or he would have gotten a good beating.

EDIT: The site isn't showing 499 for me I dont think, if its 100 cheaper, sure go for it.  It does have electric start which is nice too, I do know that.  You won't be mad for what you're using it for.

Edited by madcat6183

EDIT: The site isn't showing 499 for me I dont think, if its 100 cheaper, sure go for it.  It does have electric start which is nice too, I do know that.  You won't be mad for what you're using it for.

Just below the price: Only $499.99 with coupon 51911369

I have been contemplating this same deal.  Does not come with a battery, not sure what kind is needed or how much more that would be.  or a wheel kit, not a deal breaker for me though, easy enough to fab something with the junk I have laying around.  I have a very old craftsman 2400 watt that runs well, loud as hell but well, but its only 110v and struggles when i have the fridge, deep freeze, and sump pump plugged in and they end up running at the same time.  Would like to pick this one up and wire in a bypass switch so I don't have to run extension cords through the house. 

Just below the price: Only $499.99 with coupon 51911369

Yeah, my I.E. at work doesn't like refresh correctly, like if I go to Weather.com it will often show weather from months ago.  Weird.

The battery is usually a motorcycle or lawn batter, so autozone etc.  I know some places sell used ones that are just refilled with the decals taken off for like 20-30.   Yeah for 499, it wouldn't be bad at all to have for home use.

Home Depot had/has throwout switches to install and then just get a feed line from genny to throwout box.  My aunt/uncle have a setup like this in MI, I think they've used it actually, just to run the basics.  My aunt/uncle in Lancaster have whole house genny, thing is NASTY but $$.

Actually, if there is someone on here that knows how to do a throwout switch, once my kids here I'd like to talk to you.  I don't mess with anything more than electrical outlets/switches and even then hate it.

I plan to get one installed towards end of the summer, maybe we can all go together and get an electrician.  Shoot wait, my inlaws have 2 electricians in the family, boom, one in Canal and one in Amanda.  Gotta get at them.

Hey Casper,

I know a fellow that has a Rigid generator with a Yamaha motor that he is selling for $600. I don't know the wattage but he used it to power his house after last year's derecho. let me know if you are interested.

Edited by Scarlett Harlot

After working in a shop for a few years, and seeing lots of different brands and sizes come through I am extremely wary of most "generic" generators out there. The engine and generator set are equally important. Cant tell you how many times I've seen units with Honda engines with gen set problems. Honda, Subaru and Yamaha all use Sawafuji on their stuff. This is why they command a premium. The Sawafujis very rarely fail with normal or even super heavy usage. The voltage regulators and windings are most common failure on the "generics" with parts usually not available locally. If you purchase a cheap generator, go ahead and get a replacement voltage regulator for it...odds are you will replace it at some point. Don't get Hung up on wattage ratings either. It's all about amps.

The difference between a true Japanese generator, and a Chinese unit is that one is a purchase, one is an investment. With propper usage and maintenance I have no trouble saying a Honda, Subie or Yamaha will last for 20 years or more.

Hey Casper,

I know a fellow that has a Rigid generator with a Yamaha motor that he is selling for $600. I don't know the wattage but he used it to power his house after last year's derecho. let me know if you are interested.

I might be. Shoot me a PM with any info. Thanks!

I got this for $500

http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-3-600-Watt-Subaru-211-cc-Gasoline-Powered-Portable-Generator-RD903600/203183981#customer_reviews

For the same price I could have gotten a generic with a higher wattage rating, but didn't see the point.  Last time power went out it ran my sump pump and 3 neighbor sump pumps no problem.