Shoei Gt-air Helmet

Mary#17

Shoei GT-Air Helmet 

Overall, I really like the helmet.  Quality and finish is as expected with Shoei helmets. I had read in some other reviews that the helmet is technically heavier (slightly) than say the RF-1100 due to the built in visor but I find the helmet to feel extremely light. It also seems very aerodynamic and I’m not getting the wind buffer movement that I get sometimes at higher speeds.  Here are some thoughts:

• The entry into the helmet is very tight. There is a chin curtain that really seals the bottom of the helmet.  With this, I had thought the helmet would be super quiet. It’s not.  It’s not louder than my other Arai’s or Shoei’s but it’s not quieter either.

• The fit of this helmet is different than my other helmets. I’ve always worn an XS in all of my previous helmets and that is what I ordered this time around. It does fit and it is the right size for me but the break in has been much longer and more uncomfortable than what I have had in the past.  I think the addition of the visor changes the inside shape slightly and gives you slightly different pressure points than my other helmets – specifically the temples. Now that I’ve used it a few times, it’s starting to feel pretty good but I have to admit I was a bit worried that I had purchased the wrong size. I’m still debating about changing cheek pads but I’ll give that a bit more time since they are thicker.

• I still don’t know how I feel about the visor. It’s a really nice feature to have when you are stuck riding toward the evening and can just flip up the visor for the clear shield but I don’t think the visor itself is dark enough and I am a bit annoyed with the gap at the bottom.  I am used to very dark shields so I’m not sure what I’m going to do with this. I contacted Shoei and they have told me that they do not make a dark shield for this helmet but I’m hoping that maybe another shield in the line up might fit or I might get a clear one tinted and buy another spare clear.  The visor is really nice for hot weather riding as you can lift your shield for air and still get eye protection.

• I’ve installed a Sena SMH10 intercom system into the helmet and the speakers fit nicely into the recess.  My husband says he can hear a lot of wind noise and exhaust noise so I may need to adjust the mic.

I think that covers it. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Mary

51%2BvP5CWk8L._SS350_.jpg

sorry to hear about the noise, I got the RF-1100 last fall and love it. I'd guess the quietest helmet I've had.

crazy light too. 

Uncomfortable? yikes. Mine is like a giant armored vagina, I love it!

whats the price point? were they attempting to compete with lower shelf items? *(always the ruin of a good company)

i wear XS also, do you know how the size compares to Speed and stength? my XS is to big, i need a smaller size.

I don't know. I've always had Shoei and Arai.  I have a neutral head so I can fit it most helmets.  According to their size charts, they are similar but I don't know about the shape.

GT Air

XS 6 5/8 - 6 3/4 53 - 54 20 7/8 - 21 1/4

SS size chart

XS 6 1/2 - 6 5/8 20 7/8" - 21 1/4"
  • Upvote 1

sorry to hear about the noise, I got the RF-1100 last fall and love it. I'd guess the quietest helmet I've had.

crazy light too. 

Uncomfortable? yikes. Mine is like a giant armored vagina, I love it!

whats the price point? were they attempting to compete with lower shelf items? *(always the ruin of a good company)

Price point on the GT-Air is higher than the RF1100.  I actually don't think that it is uncomfortable.  All new helmets should be uncomfortable to some extent until they break in - the break in period for this one just seemed longer to me. I actually thought it felt pretty good last night. I've owned RF1100s and Corsair V's and this helmet is inline with those in terms of being quiet. I had just expected it to be quieter because of the chin curtain so that probably has more to do with my expectations being out of line rather than the helmet not performing.

I recommend the helmet highly.  It's a quality product - just wanted people to be aware that the design (shape?) seems a little different than some of my other helmets.

Mary

• Upvote 1

I got a Gt-Air this spring also.  Agree with pretty much everything Mary had to say about it.  I find it is about the same volume level as my old RF-1000 when I am on the Triumph but it seems quieter to me on the Ducati without a fairing or windscreen disturbing the airflow around my head.  I guess it's a tradeoff.  The first two weeks of wearing it took some getting used to, but now that it's broken in I am loving the feel of it.

Looks like I need a 2XS.. 20.5" thanks for the info.

I don't know. I've always had Shoei and Arai.  I have a neutral head so I can fit it most helmets.  According to their size charts, they are similar but I don't know about the shape.

GT Air

XS

6 5/8 - 6 3/4

53 - 54

20 7/8 - 21 1/4

SS size chart

XS

6 1/2 - 6 5/8

20 7/8" - 21 1/4"

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...