Lake Erie circle tour?

redrocket04

Not to be confused with circle jerk.

Anyone ever done this? I'm thinking about going next week and taking the route. 650-odd miles, seems to be some decent roads, and my passport is valid...

Secondly, anyone want to ride with me?

Not to be confused with circle jerk.

Anyone ever done this? I'm thinking about going next week and taking the route. 650-odd miles, seems to be some decent roads, and my passport is valid...

Secondly, anyone want to ride with me?

do it last week of july and i would consider it:D

I have never done it personally. I know that Pfloydgad (Greg) has done it. He told me that there is a campground on the Canadian side that is at the end of i want to say a mile or two long peninsula that is a great place to camp. If I was going to do it, I would cross over at Port Huron/Sarnia and avoid all of the Detroit BS. It is on my list of "weekend" trips to do. This year I want to try and do the trip across Lake Michigan on the SS Badger and work my way back through Wisconsin, Illinois and Indiana.

Edited by cmh_sprint

Looks interesting... Are you going up for this?

September is bad for me, I work for a school district. That would be about two weeks after school just started. It is a mad house here at that time. I could go...but it would be unfair to my boss who is awesome.

Awesome bosses are hard to come by.

Yea, and he keeps getting more awesome. He just recommended me for a 7K raise. And he is buying a bike. Maybe I will take him to Port Dover in September. :lol:

I've done it in a car and a few times on the bike. Nice ride, a bit flat but the Canadian side is not as industrial or built up as mucch as the U.S. Farmland mostly. The problem is the only way to get into and out of the two countries is through the Niagara area, CRAZY, NUTS traffic. And yes, make sure your passport is valid and current, don't even think of taking a firearm, and go to your insurance agent and get an Inter-Provincial Proof of Insurance card. They will say its not required, oh yeah? Get into a situation where you need to prove you have insurance thats good in Canada, that card will save you tons of money and time. Get it. It takes all of about 5 minutes to type up and they, your insurance person, can mail it too you. Good luck, Canada is a lot of fun. Oh yeah, almost forgot, either charge stuff or get your U.S. currency exchanged at the border, do not try to use U.S. currency, some will take it, many won't and will be insulted. If they take it, expect to get Canadadian currency back WITHOUT the exchange rate, obviously. Just about everyone takes a VIA card and you get the current exchange rate when you use it. Take off your helmet for the border police when you cross.

The wife and I went on a ride with 15 other couples up and around the north shore of Lake Erie to Niagara Falls then up thru Toronto to Quebec City then over to Moncton New Brunswick Back down to Bangor Maine then thru New York City to Washington DC back up to Gettysburg Pa. and then back home we did the ride in a little under 2 weeks lucked out and had good weather the whole way had a great time.

How do some of you guys get time to take these multi-week trips? I would love it, but I just get a week of vacation a year...

I never thought about the exchange rate and all, but I typically use my debit card for everything, anyway.

How do some of you guys get time to take these multi-week trips? I would love it, but I just get a week of vacation a year...

I get 4 weeks of vacation a year. I am an IT person in a school district. I could make more $ in the private industry but the vacation, retirement and bennies makes up for it.

Any of you making this trip, I highly recommend a quick stop in Windsor at Jason's. French Canadian strippers are the best. It's just a few blocks from the tunnel to Detriot. You can't take bikes in the tunnel, gotta use the bridge.

Also, as you go across at Buffalo take the Peace Bridge instead of the one at Niagara. Even if you are going to Niagara it is faster and better and less traffic and craziness.

Personal bias but why Lake Erie? I don't see the attraction. Now if you said, Ontario or Michigan, I could understand but as others have said, the US side of Erie (Detroit,Buffalo, Cleveland) sucks to ride through and the Canadian side if pretty boring.

I have family in Chicago and used to live in Rochester, NY. I took the northern route around the lake frequently in the winter to avoid storms and several times in the summer to avoid I80/90 traffic and construction.

Not sure where you have been but I would strongly suggest going to the Adirondacks if you have a week and have never been up that way. You could still go up through Buffalo/Niagra, Toronto and top side of Lake Ontario. Niagra on the Lake is a nice place to stay for a night.

Personal bias but why Lake Erie? I don't see the attraction. Now if you said, Ontario or Michigan, I could understand but as others have said, the US side of Erie (Detroit,Buffalo, Cleveland) sucks to ride through and the Canadian side if pretty boring.

I have family in Chicago and used to live in Rochester, NY. I took the northern route around the lake frequently in the winter to avoid storms and several times in the summer to avoid I80/90 traffic and construction.

Not sure where you have been but I would strongly suggest going to the Adirondacks if you have a week and have never been up that way. You could still go up through Buffalo/Niagra, Toronto and top side of Lake Ontario. Niagra on the Lake is a nice place to stay for a night.

Well, for me, it's because I can pick up on the tour at the end of my driveway. It started out just as a thought of something to do in a day, not turn it into a long weekend or anything. I agree, the thought of Cleveland, and/or Buffalo aren't very appealing, but it'd be a decent distance to go in a day, and would be better than my normal riding around northern Ohio, but not as good as the Tennessee riding I got used to. I see it as a trade off. :)

I personally would use a credit card as opposed to a debit card in Canada if you use a card, not everyone takes debit cards. The exchange rate nowdays makes it much better for our friends to the north, its almost 1/1, nothing like it was 10-20 years ago when it was $1.40CND to $1.00USD. I work a 24/48 schedule, so taking one day off for me means almost a week off, so 4 days off would be almost 2 weeks. Like you said, not everyone can take those weeks long vacations, even I have never done that. I'm just glad to have a job that gives me time off.

I personally would use a credit card as opposed to a debit card in Canada if you use a card, not everyone takes debit cards. The exchange rate nowdays makes it much better for our friends to the north, its almost 1/1, nothing like it was 10-20 years ago when it was $1.40CND to $1.00USD. I work a 24/48 schedule, so taking one day off for me means almost a week off, so 4 days off would be almost 2 weeks. Like you said, not everyone can take those weeks long vacations, even I have never done that. I'm just glad to have a job that gives me time off.

Hey Dave!!!!!!! :hello:

Too flat, can't carry in Canada.....pretty much rules out for me. I am even getting to the point where if a state does not honor my CHL, I won't travel there unless I have to. Would be a pretty and scenic route I bet though.

I found out that a few states don't recognize Ohio not because of their law, but because of Ohio's law, its silly in some respects, like AL, probably one of the most gun friendly states won't recognize Ohio's law because of the silly car aspects of Ohio's law.

I found out that a few states don't recognize Ohio not because of their law, but because of Ohio's law, its silly in some respects, like AL, probably one of the most gun friendly states won't recognize Ohio's law because of the silly car aspects of Ohio's law.

It's usually because Ohio won't recognize theirs so they say f you then. The stickler is our reciprocity law says the AG can only enter into an agreement of their requirements are similar to ours. Many states don't require training and we do. That's what kills it. There was a recent change to the reciprocity law that should improve things a little.

You may consider doing this as part of a fundraiser for burned children. It was originally intended for under 250cc bikes, scooters, and even mopeds. They give out token prize money for finishing 1-2-3 in your class.

I will be going in "tourist" class just to participate as my bike is over 250cc.

Check it out here www.lakeerieloop.com .