• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts
  • Joined September 25, 2011
  • Name: James
  • Bike(s): 2003 GSX-R 600 K3
    1997 Kawasaki ZX6-R *sold*

Posted 27 April 2013 - 05:44 PM

Recently took my 97 ZX6r to Iron Pony to have them clean and sync my carbs.

After taking them apart, they said the screw that adjusts and affects the low end of the throttle (initial throttle on) was locked up. They said I could let them try to drill it out, but that might require new carbs if it doesn't work. I said leave it and just do the best they could to sync it as is. So when I picked it up from them they said they opened one carb more to compensate for the other one (whatever that means....maybe one of you guys can tell me). So today during rapid deceleration into a corner and then full acceleration out of it it sounded like I lost a cylinder and had a ton of power loss. It literally sounded and felt like I was on three cylinders.

On the way home (maybe 30-40 miles later) it started running right again. Anyone have any idea what that might be? The crazy carb fix fouling a plug?

Can a plug foul, and then become un-fouled?

#2 ZxHooligan

ZxHooligan

Learnin' the Ropes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • Joined April 18, 2012
  • Name: Corey
  • Bike(s): 2005 zx12r

Posted 27 April 2013 - 06:18 PM

They should have just left it alone I rode with you last year and your bike ran good. I have had plugs in my tractor stop firing and then start firing again after the plug cooled down. It could be getting too much fuel now in 1 bank causing it to foul the plug.
The question isn't what are we going to do today but what aren't we gonna do

#3 Blitz

Blitz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:28 PM

Yeah.....if whatever they did caused it to start fouling plugs I'm gonna be pissed.

#4 ZxHooligan

ZxHooligan

Learnin' the Ropes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • Joined April 18, 2012

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:46 PM

I would be pissed too our bikes have a carb for each cylinder that doesnt cross over to other cylinders IDK why the would adjust one up to compensate for another cylinder not getting all the fuel it needs that just drowns out the cylinder the cylinder that died is probably the one they adjusted to compensate for the one they couldn't adjust

#5 ReconRat

ReconRat

• Supporting Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,710 posts
  • Joined August 3, 2008
  • Name: Tommy TuTone
  • Bike(s): 02/07 919², 76 CB550F, and a pile of parts...

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:17 PM

agreed, clueless carb tech.
-Tom-
Posted Image
red= states I've lived in.
green= states I've visited.

#6 Gunner75

Gunner75

Gun toting crack pot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts
  • Joined September 26, 2012
  • Bike(s): Bikeless

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:38 PM

I believe i have heard more then a few issues with IP service dept. Sounds like there is a chance someone is trying to create problems to get more business, maybe that thought is out of place, but I have heard from several people after they took their bikes into IP to have them looked at that have more issues after

#7 Blitz

Blitz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 01:54 AM

Well if that's the case, I'm a customer that won't rest if I've been screwed over.

I'm going to find out exactly what they did and see if that's what caused the problem or not. If its their fault, they're going to fix it.

#8 serpentracer

serpentracer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,526 posts
  • Joined February 14, 2007
  • Bike(s): 2003 R6

Posted 28 April 2013 - 05:35 AM

sounds more like that cyl wasn't getting fuel. probably still a dirty carb issue. the jets in the carbs are very finicky. getting them clean usually means replacing them instead.

it's going to be very hard to solve a issue that is intermittent.

usually adjusting the synch will not effect the way the bike runs beyond idle. so IDK what they did beyond a synch that would cause you that kind of issue.

I know you live in columbus but if you really need to, I know of a bike shop that could fix it. the dude is a god when it comes to carb tuning. he knew right away what was wrong with my buddy's suzuki intruder when it was back firing. he popped in a new secondary (or something like that) jet and viola...perfect running bike again. even though it was clean looking he said he guarantee's that's the problem and he was right.

Edited by serpentracer, 28 April 2013 - 05:40 AM.

#9 cOoTeR

cOoTeR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,830 posts
  • Joined January 25, 2010
  • Name: Martin
  • Bike(s): 01 RC51 project, 2012 ZX10R

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:09 AM

A friend of mine has a late 90's zx9 or whatever it is. He recently cleaned his carbs. After putting it back together it ran for a second then started to sputter. He gave it some gas and it started to idle real rough. He hasn't figured it out yet but my point is the old ninjas seem to be touchy when it comes to the carbs.

Edited by cOoTeR, 28 April 2013 - 08:23 AM.

BEAR + DEER = BEER

#10 2fat2fly

2fat2fly

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts
  • Joined March 30, 2012
  • Name: Mike
  • Bike(s): 1991 ZX7R,1993 ZX7R,2000 ZX12R, 1987 YSR50

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:42 AM

After taking them apart, they said the screw that adjusts and affects the low end of the throttle (initial throttle on) was locked up. They said I could let them try to drill it out, but that might require new carbs if it doesn't work.

The only way it would require new carbs is if the screwed up by drilling too deep or got off the brass screw. If they don't feel comfortable offering the service then they shouldn't be offering it. It doesn't take a NASA engineer to drill a mixture screw but you have to know what you're doing.

I said leave it and just do the best they could to sync it as is. So when I picked it up from them they said they opened one carb more to compensate for the other one (whatever that means....maybe one of you guys can tell me).

I have no idea why they did this. Like was stated previously you have 1 carb per cylinder and they don't cross flow to adjacent cylinders. Clearly you didn't have a NASA engineer working on your bike.

When carb jets are dirty or clogged they simply need cleaned and nothing more. You can replace them with new ones but that would be the same as replacing your car windows because you can't see out of them due to them being dirty. Remeber though, if the jet is dirty then you have to assumethe entire passageway the fuel flows through is dirty as well and you have to clean the whole thing or you'll be back at the same problem.

All carbs work by the same principles so every bit of kowledge of ZX6R carbs is transferrable to GSXR carbs. The following link will explain in detail how to clean carbs:

http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159718
I am not crazy! My mother had me tested.-Dr. Sheldon Cooper

#11 2fat2fly

2fat2fly

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts
  • Joined March 30, 2012

Posted 29 April 2013 - 04:51 AM

Read this one too:

http://www.zx6e.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=16518

It is very clear on how to do the carbs.

#12 CrazySkullCrusher

CrazySkullCrusher

Mr. Fixit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,062 posts
  • Joined August 4, 2011
  • Bike(s): 97 tl1000s, 73 cb850 cammer, 03 bandit 1200

Posted 29 April 2013 - 04:01 PM

Its hard to find a tech these days that actually knows carbs. Dude clearly doesn't know his shit. Any mechanic worth his salt should be able to free up a brass screw in an aluminum housing, they don't corrode like steel. Mail your carbs to isacs papa, he's a pro. I'd do them for you, and am more than capable of the job, but I stopped buying carburated sport bikes for a reason: I end up having to do carbs on them.

Figure out which cyl isn't firing, next time it does it open the bowl drain on that carb and see if gas comes out. Pull the plug and test it. At least look at it and see if the porcelain has build up on it, that will indicated a rich condition.

If you love someone, let them go. Just don't get mad if they come back with the herpes.

#13 TSB67

TSB67

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts
  • Joined April 1, 2010
  • Bike(s): None

Posted 29 April 2013 - 04:15 PM

Recently took my 97 ZX6r to Iron Pony to have them

^ There's your problem.

#14 Steve Butters

Steve Butters

Gen3's daddy

• Supporting Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,017 posts
  • Joined March 18, 2009
  • Name: Tyler
  • Bike(s): 2012 Honda CB1000R

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:36 PM

I'm surprised they even serviced it... I thought 7yrs old was the max they would work on?

#15 Blitz

Blitz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:02 PM

I called them today, but didn't get many answers. The tech that worked on my bike wasn't there but will be tomorrow. So I'm going to call back.

I will say the manager I spoke with (I think he's a manager) seemed concerned and acknowledged that it shouldn't be doing what it did, and if it was something they did....he seemed to say they'd figure it out.

So I'm going to find out exactly what was done. I'll post that as soon as I find out. And I'll also post what they do to rectify the situation (if anything).

I appreciate the offers for other people to work on it. Wish I would have known about them before I took it to them. Now that I've spent the money I really can't afford to spend it again, but if they messed something up I'll demand a refund and take it somewhere else. We'll see how far that gets me.

Up to this point it seems they're willing to work with me to find out what the problem is. In the past when I had an issue with a repair they did (went down one tooth on front sprocket and it was rubbing the chain guard and they gave it back to me even though it was whining at speed), they replaced the sprocket with stock sprocket free of charge. So I'll give them the benefit of the doubt if they're going to work with me.

As for them working on my bike, I can say they're one of the only places I've found that will. Another reason I took it there.

Lastly, the bike is running now albeit a little rougher than before. I plan to take it apart and change the plugs before the Epic Ride this weekend. If I have this problem again, I'm going to drop it off at IP and demand they fix it right.....or demand my money back. I've never had any issues like this before they touched it. If it does it again, it's their fault without a doubt. Hopefully they'll do as they've done in the past and work with me to get it right.

#16 redkow97

redkow97

Aspiring lottery winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,283 posts
  • Joined September 5, 2007
  • Name: Chris
  • Bike(s): 2000 Honda XR100
    2000 Suzuki GSX-F 750

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:57 PM

Let them try to make it right, but the more I learn from working on the XR100, the more brave I start to feel about working on a bike with four times as many carburetors...

Youtube is your friend. Last night I spent 2 minutes searching, and 5 minutes learning how to sync carbs. Doesn't look that tough.

Everything is hardest the first time you try it. I cleaned the XR carb, and it took an hour (with gas spilled all over my work bench...). When I opened it back up to change the jets and needle, I had done more work than the first time, with a third of the time spent.

Plus now that's one more thing I know how to do... The time spent learning a little online is worth way more than paying a mechanic who may or may not screw it up anyway.

And consider Pauly or Hoblick in the future. They don't have nearly the mark-up of larger shops, and their reputations are important to them among ORDN members.
- Chris
OMRL/WERA - N #524
MotoSeries - N #521

#17 SIR BANDIT

SIR BANDIT

Newb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Joined March 15, 2013
  • Name: David
  • Bike(s): 1991 Suzuki Bandit GSF 400

Posted 30 April 2013 - 01:23 PM

okay I'm sorry I can't figure out how to post a new threadbut it seems like you're having similar problems to mine. I'm new to working on motorcycles and today I went to take my 400 bandit out to find out that my 3rd cylinder has stopped firing again. now I change the spark plug in it about 2 weeks ago and that seemed to do the job but all the spark plugs I pulled out were very wet. however this time around the bottom of my third carburetor seems to be wet with what looks like dirty gasoline or oil now. I know it's very strange for oil to be on a carburetor I get this but what do you guys think is my problem?

#18 ZxHooligan

ZxHooligan

Learnin' the Ropes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • Joined April 18, 2012

Posted 30 April 2013 - 02:08 PM

okay I'm sorry I can't figure out how to post a new threadbut it seems like you're having similar problems to mine. I'm new to working on motorcycles and today I went to take my 400 bandit out to find out that my 3rd cylinder has stopped firing again. now I change the spark plug in it about 2 weeks ago and that seemed to do the job but all the spark plugs I pulled out were very wet. however this time around the bottom of my third carburetor seems to be wet with what looks like dirty gasoline or oil now. I know it's very strange for oil to be on a carburetor I get this but what do you guys think is my problem?

Is there oil on the plugs or is it just wet from gas? If its just wet from gas more than likely the float is stuck in the carb. A stuck float will also cause the carb to be wet it kinda looks like oil when there is dirt on it

#19 2fat2fly

2fat2fly

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts
  • Joined March 30, 2012

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:27 AM

Without looking at it or tearing it apart I would venture to guess that your #3 carb has a sticking float needle. It might have a small piece of debris holding it open and this allows fuel to constantly flow into the carb. When the float bowl gets full it pushes out of the carb. What you're seeing is a result of that.

#20 Blitz

Blitz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:16 PM

So here's what it was....

I replaced the plugs on Wednesday and rode to work. Was definitely still running rough, though not as bad. Then on the way home it was like I only had three cylinders. Sounded like a 4 stroke dirt bike. I checked the plugs again and out the old ones back in thinking it was the new plugs since it was running better before I out the new ones in. Nope. Still running like shit.

So I called the Pony. Shawn told me to bring it in and they'd look at it. But I didn't expect much. I told him I really needed them to look at it ASAP, cause I had the Epic ride this weekend. He said they would check it out first thing. I figured they'd just say "nothing we can do about it."

So dropped it off today, and called them at lunch. Shawn said they had it apart and thought they knew what the deal was. I stopped by afterwork and they had it fixed. Turns out the jet kit that was installed by previous owner had these little sleeves that go in the emulsion tubes that have 4 little holes drilled into one side. If the sleeves are pointing the wrong way, they don't allow fuel to get into the chamber. He said one of them was turned around backwards. That's what was not allowing the cylinder to fire. No gas.

So Bill handed me the 4 little brass sleeves and said she's running great now. I rode her home and it was much better. Then I put the new plugs back in and it's running like a champ. Smooth acceleration, not any hiccuping or burping or backfiring like before. Best its ever run.

Kudos to Iron Pony for standing behind their work. That's twice now they've taken my bike back and made sure it was right. The fact that they work on older bikes and they stand behind their work will keep me coming there. At least till they don't. Plus they're almost half the price on some quotes I've gotten from the John Hinderer Honda Powerstore.

So after a week of messing around with it, 1 ruined ride, and three days in a row of changing out my spark plugs, it's running like a champ and I'll be ready to go in the morning for the ride. Should be Epic!

Edited by Blitz, 03 May 2013 - 09:19 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

HeavyDuty : (June 10 2014 - 11:20 PM) LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLL
snot : (June 11 2014 - 04:09 AM) have a great trip!
Tonik : (June 11 2014 - 07:15 AM) FIRST!!
Al Z. Heimer : (June 12 2014 - 01:17 AM) Ok let's do this. First.
HeavyDuty : (June 12 2014 - 01:56 AM) Heading out the door
Tonik : (June 12 2014 - 02:26 AM) IT'S ON!!
Connie14 : (June 13 2014 - 12:15 AM) first from SD!
JackFlash : (June 14 2014 - 05:13 PM) First at 6:12 pm on the 14th.
JackFlash : (June 15 2014 - 11:06 PM) Well let's make it FIRST for the 15th and 16th too.
Beegreenstrings : (June 16 2014 - 11:09 AM) Bowdog, clean your messages out
bowdog : (June 16 2014 - 11:31 AM) Done, should be good now.
JackFlash : (June 16 2014 - 10:02 PM) Posted Image
JackFlash : (June 17 2014 - 02:21 AM) I think I'll be FIRST again.
Tonik : (June 18 2014 - 06:50 AM) FIRST!!
Tonik : (June 19 2014 - 07:07 AM) FIRST!!
banditj13 : (June 20 2014 - 07:19 AM) First
redbarron77 : (June 20 2014 - 11:29 AM) NWS Section updated!  Have a Fappy Weekend!
DerekClouser : (June 21 2014 - 01:03 AM) Bitches, First! (Even though I haven't gone to sleep so I don't think it should count this way)
Josh1234 : (June 22 2014 - 10:02 PM) Hrm, nothing on the 22nd until now.
buxnut : (June 23 2014 - 06:39 AM) first?
Josh1234 : (June 23 2014 - 01:20 PM) Hrm, I used to be able to see the NWS section but can't anymore.  What do I have to do?
Tonik : (June 23 2014 - 01:48 PM) You have to be a sponsor to see NWS, looks like yours expired.
Josh1234 : (June 23 2014 - 08:34 PM) Is that the same as "supporting member" or a higher level?
Tonik : (June 23 2014 - 08:45 PM) Sorry josh, yea I meant 'supporting member'.
Tonik : (June 24 2014 - 08:01 AM) FIRST!
Tonik : (June 25 2014 - 07:06 AM) FIRST!!
Josh1234 : (June 25 2014 - 11:14 AM) SECOND!!  Oh, wait...
Earache : (June 25 2014 - 12:20 PM) i'
Earache : (June 25 2014 - 12:20 PM) I'll take two, please : http://rocket-garage.blogspot.ie/2014/06/ariel-ace.html
Tonik : (June 26 2014 - 07:14 AM) FIRST!
Tonik : (June 27 2014 - 06:27 AM) FIRST!!
redbarron77 : (June 27 2014 - 04:01 PM) NWS Section updated!  Have a fappy weekend!
snot : (June 28 2014 - 06:32 AM) Dayton Airshow this weekend... and first.
Josh1234 : (June 29 2014 - 01:04 AM) First!
Josh1234 : (June 29 2014 - 11:06 PM) First!!
Josh1234 : (July 01 2014 - 12:06 AM) First!!!
what : (July 01 2014 - 02:29 PM) …second?
buxnut : (July 02 2014 - 07:14 AM) FIRST!!!
snot : (July 03 2014 - 04:50 AM) last day of the work week! Reefer hut in englewood.. edit worked!
snot : (July 03 2014 - 04:51 AM) dont you hate when your phone fips out in the middle of typing!  back to the thought.. reefer hut is playing Saturday night in Englewood
bowdog : (July 03 2014 - 08:10 AM) First
redbarron77 : (July 03 2014 - 01:41 PM) NWS Section updated!  Have a Fappy 4th of July Weekend!
Kmanlyst : (July 03 2014 - 04:43 PM) wow been a while since I have seen this place.
snot : (July 03 2014 - 09:00 PM) where have you been?
HeavyDuty : (July 04 2014 - 02:28 AM) First
Josh1234 : (July 06 2014 - 01:06 AM) First
JackFlash : (July 06 2014 - 10:47 AM) Ride today.  Leaving Newark in about an hour.  No planned route.  Open to ideas.  Anyone?  PM with questions.
JackFlash : (July 06 2014 - 10:48 AM) Join me?
silentcropdu... : (July 06 2014 - 01:47 PM) i work today
JackFlash : (July 06 2014 - 08:36 PM) Back home now.  Did 100 miles from Newark to Pataskala to Reynoldsburg to Millersport to Buckeye Lake to Half way to Zanesville to Heath to a washed out culvert near Morse Rd to Granville and the back roads back to Newark.
JackFlash : (July 07 2014 - 07:39 AM) ...and it's my turn to be FIRST!
Josh1234 : (July 07 2014 - 09:41 AM) Sounds like a great ride, Jack
JackFlash : (July 07 2014 - 09:36 PM) It was one of those, "I don't know where I'm going, but maybe I'll see something interesting on the way" kind of rides.
JackFlash : (July 07 2014 - 11:00 PM) And once again, FIRST!
Josh1234 : (July 08 2014 - 08:23 AM) dammit, I always forget until I'm at work
bowdog : (July 09 2014 - 07:24 AM) You forgot again! First!
Josh1234 : (July 09 2014 - 09:08 AM) lol, got into work later than normal since I rode.  I'd call that a win, at least.
bowdog : (July 09 2014 - 01:30 PM) absolutely! my commute is only 4 miles so never worth getting the bke out and geared up. :(
Cdubyah : (July 10 2014 - 06:49 AM) first
Josh1234 : (July 10 2014 - 07:22 AM) If shoutbox worked on my phone I would've had it, LOL
Cdubyah : (July 10 2014 - 10:15 AM) excuses are for the weak
Casper : (July 10 2014 - 03:17 PM) Posted from my phone. :lol:
Josh1234 : (July 10 2014 - 03:46 PM) wtf, using tapatalk or the web interface?
Tonik : (July 10 2014 - 05:28 PM) web interface if you hit 'full version'
Josh1234 : (July 11 2014 - 06:38 AM) Helps me find that "Shout" button when I log in!
Josh1234 : (July 11 2014 - 06:38 AM) FIRST!!
redbarron77 : (July 11 2014 - 11:36 AM) NWS Section updated!  Have a Fappy Weekend!
Josh1234 : (July 12 2014 - 07:25 AM) First! Everyone who's riding today, have fun & be safe!
Kmanlyst : (July 12 2014 - 03:28 PM) Sorry Snot been busy with working, and thats where I have been spending a lot of time so i can fix my bike.
Earache : (July 13 2014 - 07:41 AM) Could it be?
Earache : (July 13 2014 - 07:41 AM) First!
Josh1234 : (July 13 2014 - 11:18 PM) First :( I'd rather be sleeping.
2talltim : (July 14 2014 - 11:39 AM) :rant: Just renewed my supporter status, and from the looks of it some of ya'll need to get on the ball too...this site cost the ghostman time and money to run
Dying Shadow : (July 14 2014 - 08:53 PM) I always have to give it to him in person haha his site done wanna take my money
Dying Shadow : (July 14 2014 - 08:53 PM) *don't
Cdubyah : (July 15 2014 - 06:37 AM) first again you slackers
Josh1234 : (July 15 2014 - 07:18 AM) I picked up supporter again
Casper : (July 16 2014 - 12:42 AM) First.
Josh1234 : (July 16 2014 - 06:38 AM) Dang it
jbot : (July 16 2014 - 11:26 PM) first
F4iguy : (July 18 2014 - 05:33 AM) First (sitting here at Mid O)
Josh1234 : (July 18 2014 - 06:25 AM) At 6:30 am! Props.
snot : (July 18 2014 - 07:52 PM) F4i.. what group were you in?
HeavyDuty : (July 19 2014 - 10:27 AM) Late in the day to get First
HeavyDuty : (July 20 2014 - 06:44 AM) Two in a row First
F4iguy : (July 20 2014 - 09:28 PM) Intermediate
Josh1234 : (July 20 2014 - 11:02 PM) First.
DerekClouser : (July 21 2014 - 07:35 AM) I suppose I won't let Heavy get first today :)
DerekClouser : (July 21 2014 - 07:35 AM) Or I suppose josh can win it ... somehow I didn't see that.
Josh1234 : (July 21 2014 - 09:05 AM) I almost feel as if a midnight tag is cheating... But if I don't do it, someone else will :)
HeavyDuty : (July 21 2014 - 06:44 PM) Jim any word on the Iron Butt yet ?
Tonik : (July 21 2014 - 07:30 PM) Not a word HD.
HeavyDuty : (July 21 2014 - 08:36 PM) OK Ok I read some were that it is done by volunteers and has to go through some kind of board to get approved and can take up to 5 months to get.
bowdog : (July 22 2014 - 07:58 AM) First?
Josh1234 : (July 22 2014 - 09:29 AM) That's a confirmed first.
HeavyDuty : (July 22 2014 - 08:42 PM) Stalled my bike out at a light today first time in 20 years. :(
HeavyDuty : (July 22 2014 - 08:57 PM) Not freeloading anymore just paid  for my supporter status.
Josh1234 : (July 23 2014 - 06:29 AM) First!
Josh1234 : (July 24 2014 - 06:17 AM) First!!
JohnG : (July 24 2014 - 11:20 PM) First