250cc and under touring....

frog13

You run into weight restrictions pretty quick on a small bike. Its no fun touring if you don't have someone to bang like an old screen door once you get to the camp site or hotel, and 2 up on a 250 is pushing the gvw already. Add all the crap women need to lug around and you have seriously comprimised your braking and handling.

I would do it for the economy and the story.

My brother lives in WA. I have another in Jersey. The notion of trailering a 250 to NJ and then riding/camping to WA sounds both agonizing and appealing.

I figure it would take 10 days minimum one way. 20+ to do it properly.

I rode my 76 CB200T to the gulf coast last year, Hit deals gap on the way down and back.

gap30.jpg

I got the bike for free and rode it MAYBE 200 miles after i got it running before i left, so the saddlebags were full of about 100 pounds of tools and spare parts.

Wore out a brand new rear tire in 10 days, I figure i was way over the weight rating on the moped tires i put on it.

I ride to adjoining states on my 250 pretty regularly. Longest trip thus far was with 2 other guys also on 250s, 1150 miles over 4 days, and a lot of that was dirt and trails in the UP.

This past fall another guy and I did 3 days, about 700 miles through a bunch of Nat Park Roads in PA.

The longest day I've had on my 250 was 500 miles, only just barely left Ohio; crossed into WV near St Marys and played around a bit on dirt roads there but mostly two lane pavement in Ohio.

Most of my rides on the 250, come to think of it, are either like a mile on an errand in town, or a few hundred miles. Pretty much every organized ride I get in on requires 120 miles of round trip to get to the dirt, anyway, so those rides pretty much run at least 250-300 miles in a day.

So I guess... yes? I tour on it and take in state banging around type trips.

I rode my 76 CB200T to the gulf coast last year, Hit deals gap on the way down and back.

I got the bike for free and rode it MAYBE 200 miles after i got it running before i left, so the saddlebags were full of about 100 pounds of tools and spare parts.

Wore out a brand new rear tire in 10 days, I figure i was way over the weight rating on the moped tires i put on it.

Awesome! You make most of these pogues look like... well... like pogues in comparison!

• 2 weeks later...

http://totalruckus.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=16406

You can tour on anything as long as you have the desire and don't expect more out of the machine than it is able to provide.Riding to California on a 250 Ninja taking Interstate 80 is possible but would be a brutal experience.Taking the back roads of America would be a lot more fun.Destination and how much time you have will limit bike size more than the size of the bike determining the destination.This guy had a blast on 49cc.This is just a little part of his journey.He started in North Carolina.

If the bike fits' date=' wear it. Just yesterday I was test riding a fellow OR memner's Ninja250. On the interstate, at 70mph, the bike was doing 8k revs. Pretty sure it can take the abuse, but it was definitely bothersome. I kept trying to find 7th gear.[/quote']

8k revs on a Ninja 250 is still pretty low. You would still want to down shift to pass :D

I remember a story on one of the Ninja 250 sites of a member who did an Iron Butt 1k (1000 miles in 24hrs) on one.

You are limited in luggage capacity but if you can travel light and are comfortable then should be no problem. Im more comfortable on a WR250R or older Ninja 250R than on most 600 class machines.

Craig

• 3 weeks later...