Helmet with rear view mirror

granda080

not worth the funky shaped helmet. I thought it was going to have a rear facing camera and a projection onto the shield.
thats a big loss of protection. BUT i would enjoy knowing is i was about to get rear ended or not. like the idea, but hate the funky shape and loss of protection.

I'm with you guys......I've seen some sort of rearward camera/visor hud somewhere, but may have been a prototype? Not searched for them, so I dont know what's available.

I agree with the concept's market, safety is always needing addressed.....but this is poor application. Who would want their helmet's integrity compromised just to see behind them when the mirrors on the bike haven't been improved on since mirrors became a standard? I mean, don't their necks work to look both ways?

This particular application is horrible and unsafe, I will continue to use my mirrors.

Definitely would be better with a camera & flat screen similar to a smartphone.

Will people spend too much time looking "behind" them, with one of these? Not forward.

By the way, I love when people buy an SS bike and complain about things like mirrors.

Cliffs: A camera and screen is not a viable substitute for a rear-view mirror for anything other than parking.

There is a reason that car companies don't use cameras/screens in place of mirrors on any vehicle that could have a mirror... Semis, garbage tucks, RVS all use backup cameras, but those camera don't replace mirrors for driving. I have tried using cameras in place of mirrors. Doesn't work. The resolution is nowhere near good enough. My car has a custom backup camera that give me a horizontal view (not a 45deg downwards view like factory backup cameras) and I have it hooked up to a 7" screen in my dashboard. I've toyed with the idea of removing my rearview mirror to give me better forward visibility and rely on the rear-facing camera instead. It worked ok-ish for cars that are closer that 20', but further back and they're just little indistinct blobs.

The problem is the way the human eye works. We have a sparse coverage of rods and cones through the backs of our eyes resulting in low resolution over the entire visual area except for the very center, where there is a massive cluster of tightly packed rods/cones, directly where you are focusing. That is why you cannot read a word that is even just 3" away fro the word you are focusing on - your peripheral vision - anything outside a 2" circle directly in front of you, is indistinct and only allows you to see blurry colors, shapes and movement.

The thing that makes up for this is the fact that we can turns our eyes on whatever we want to in a heartbeat, and focus within a second or two. Static cameras don't have this ability - rather than having a area of low resolution overall and an area of high resolution in the middle, they have an single overall area of medium resolution. You eyes can move from object to object on the screen, but you will never get the high resolution that the center of your eyes are used to unless you use a lens that zooms in to the object that you want to look at. In order to achieve this, though, you lose the wide angle. You'd have to choose between a zoom lens that can show you what kind of car is 100' behind you but lose view of everything else other than that one car, or a wide angle view so you can see everything behind you but not have the ability to identify cars more than 20' behind you. And forget reading plates on that car until it's within about 10', at which point the fisheye effect distorts the car into a bubble shape.

A mirror does not change the resolution that your eyes can see at - you can see the overall wide angle view at a glance, or choose to look more closely at an individual car or other object on the road. If the mirror is flat then your visual acuity rearwards is the same as forwards. You can read a license plate off a car behind you at the same range as a car in front of you, or pick out cars in the distance that are closing in quickly. These things would not be visible on a camera/screen setup until they got much closer.

In order to replace the mirror in your car with a camera and screen the camera will need to display a wide angle HD image on the screen, detect what area of the screen you are looking at and have a separate camera zoom in on there and superimpose a 2" circle of HD resolution but zoomed in on the screen at that point. This would very closely mimic the operation of the human eye. That technology is not too far away, but is not here yet.

Holy crap this turned out to be long.

Edited by Scruit

$700 is not a reasonable price for any helmet. People have lost their frickin minds.

$400 is what I found them for. I don't think the shape is all that much different. Here is another look. http://www.motorcycleapparel.net/product/AB-8100-ATT.html

I think it's a neat concept. I'd be curious to see one in person. Apparently the shape provides additional safety.

Edited by granda080

$400 is what I found them for. I don't think the shape is all that much different. Here is another look. http://www.motorcycleapparel.net/product/AB-8100-ATT.html

I think it's a neat concept. I'd be curious to see one in person. Apparently the shape provides additional safety.

Actually seeing other angles of it's shell, it doesn't look quite as bad. And $400 is far easier to agree with vs. $700.

The view is a much wider angle than I'd seen in the other other link too. May be something to look into afterall? Buy one up and post a review!

Actually seeing other angles of it's shell, it doesn't look quite as bad. And $400 is far easier to agree with vs. $700.

The view is a much wider angle than I'd seen in the other other link too. May be something to look into afterall? Buy one up and post a review!

My wife would hurt me if I bought one. I bought a new helmet last year, otherwise I may have considered this, or at minimum looked at one.