The slow evolution of my ZX12R

2fat2fly

I started this on another forum and I'm keeping the progress updated there, but I'd also like to let everybody here know what's going on in my garage currently.

I'm the original owner of a 2000 ZX12R that I bought in April 2000. I saw pictures of the bike in the fall of 1999 and fell in love with them and then when I saw them in person in Gainesville,Florida at the spring Prostar race and then again a couple days later at Bikeweek in Daytona I decided I had to have one. When I got home from bike week I immediately put my 98 ZX9Rand my 87 GSXR 750 up for sale.

DCP00237.jpg

DCP00236.jpg

img312.jpg

img309.jpg

They both sold to the first person that looked at each one. I took the money and went & bought one of the first green ZX12R's that arrived in Southwest Ohio. The owner of the dealership is also an old friend so he gave me the list of bikes coming in and let me pick the VIN number I wanted. I rode it and raced it in various forms over the years.

That's me giving it the business:

img059.jpg

I added different stuff to the bike over the years and a few years ago I started a turbo build. Now I'm finishing that build and I will be riding the beast this summer.

HPIM2339.jpg

HPIM2343.jpg

HPIM2299.jpg

HPIM2319.jpg

If the header looks familiar to some of you it's because it started life as a stock ZX12R exhaust.

This isn't an off-the-shelf-kit. I designed it in my head and my brother and I fabricated it.He's certified in every form of welding there is except for underwater (we have a cousin that does that). I'm an aircraft mechanic by trade (24+ years and counting) and my specialties are structures and sheetmetal fabrication. I'm going to try my best to keep this updated as things progress, so stay tuned.

It will see the dragstrip, but it has to completely and fully be able to perform on the street as well. All signals, lights, horn,etc must work as advertised. Basically I want a clean looking sleeper.

All the additional toys will be hidden inside the bodywork so the average Joe will not notice anything when looking at it. To the trained eye or anyone who knows ZX12's it will be obvious that things were done to it but it won't necessarily be obvious as to exactly what was done.

HPIM2289.jpg

HPIM2285.jpg

HPIM2290.jpg

Oil cooler was relocated:

HPIM0682.jpg

HPIM0681.jpg

The ZX12R's always had a very "iffy" fuel pump. They weren't designed to handle much horsepower over stock so I upgraded to a Walbro pump. It's not really impressive to look at. If you didn't know better you'd think it was still a stock unit except for the bigger pre-filter (sock).

HPIM3837_zpsfa08ebd3.jpg

While I'm addressing weak links, the clutch is a timebomb in a 12. The stock basket will explode eventually on the dragstrip or even if abused on the street. That's why I went with Muzzys clutch kit:

HPIM3763_zps0a34c864.jpg

and a billet clutch basket from Falicon:

HPIM5842_zps34be4d4b.jpg

HPIM5840_zps835e5a2d.jpg

Several years ago I stretched the swingarm 4 inches and this forced me to remove the stock undertail. I made a new one out of aluminum but it was flat and the rear tire would hit it on a hard launch. I modded it with a recess in it to enable hard launches without hitting it anymore:

HPIM5822_zpsa2b46c1c.jpg

HPIM5819_zpsf04144cb.jpg

In the pictures you can see where the tire used to hit. I will paint it with the rest of the brackets I still need to fabricate. I need to brace the pan the oil cooler sits on and make a bracket for the scavenge pump to mount. I also have to mount the new fuel pressure regulator as well. That will be a nightmare I'm not looking forward to.

I spent today figuring out the fuel delivery and return system.

I'm using a Walbro pump to feed this thing and although I'm cheaping out right now and using the waste gate and blow off valve springs to control the boost, it won't stay that way. So I need to be able to feed the horses when they want hay. That's why I'm using an Aeromotive fuel pressure regulator to maintain fuel pressure. These things use AN fittings to connect it to the fuel system and the ZX12R uses 5/16" rubber fuel line so I needed to connect the two. I went to Jegs (they're right down the street from where I work) and bought braided line and fittings to make the connections. I also went to NAPA and got some high pressure rubber fuel line for that side of it. I'm locating the FPR on top of the valve cover due to space restrictions everywhere on this bike and running the lines to connect everything from there.

HPIM5853_zps434ab867.jpg

HPIM5854_zps01b018dd.jpg

HPIM5855_zps8f21462f.jpg

HPIM5856_zpsc31ff8a5.jpg

It looks sloppy right now simply because nothing is completely tied up. Trust me, when it's done everything will be secure and you won't see anything I don't want seen. As you all can see I still need to make the mounting bracket for the FPR. It's on my list and I plan to have it done and mounted by the end of next weekend.

This beast still has the dry nitrous system installed. I'm keeping it in there for now.

HPIM5851_zpsf7abbf5e.jpg

HPIM5850_zps70e81742.jpg

HPIM5849_zps5a6ca1cb.jpg

HPIM5846_zpse41d081e.jpg

It's also sporting Muzzy velocity stacks. I don't need them for boost containment at the moment but I might down the road....

Edited by 2fat2fly

Here's a better look at the pan the oil cooler sits on:

HPIM5857_zps7361ba2f.jpg

The oiler cooler itself is originally a power steering cooler from a 1999 Ford Super Duty pickup. I cut the hose ends off and my brother welded AN fittings on. We also reversed the angle and orientation of the cooler so it sits lower and is angled for max airflow across it from the now unused ramair snorkel.

HPIM5858_zpsa197bc31.jpg

As you can see the cooler needs some trim work done. That's another project for this week.

The other part of the oilcooler relocation is the Muzzy oil filter relocation kit:

HPIM5861_zpsd42b0267.jpg

HPIM5859_zps25795201.jpg

HPIM5863_zps2211af1f.jpg

HPIM5864_zpsaad5103f.jpg

It provides the mount for the oil filter and the block off for the original oil cooler. You supply the filter,cooler and all oil lines. The good part of this kit is the extra feed line that I used for the turbo oil feed. You just need to run an in-line restrictor to keep oil volume down. Otherwise you can blow the seals in the turbo. That will make for a bad day.

Scavenge pump is physically installed but not wired in yet.I'm waiting to do all the wiring in on shot. I still have some electronic goodies to install and 3 gauges, so I'll wire it all at once. Here's the pictures of it:

HPIM5867_zps1b26ef7b.jpg

HPIM5866_zps38c2c45c.jpg

I will slide the rubber scavenge pump hose in a heat sleeve next weekend. I got the wrong size on my previous trip to Jeg's so I have to wait until later this week to get the right size.

While laying out the brackets I need to fab I put some of the bodywork on the bike to make sure everything will disappear once it's all together. Here's some shots of that:

HPIM5881_zpsd419f4f9.jpg

HPIM5880_zpsa2c3f3f4.jpg

HPIM5882_zpsc3c68931.jpg

When I address the wiring I'm going to add a toggle switch to the left side of the triple clamps. There are already 2 on the right side. One is for arming the nitrous and the other is for arming the air shifter. The airshifter, when armed, uses the horn button as the shifter. The nitrous, when armed, uses the starter button as the nitrous button. You can see the toggles in the next photo. The red button on the left, just inboard of the left controls, is for the air compressor to fill the air tank. The swing arm is pressurized and used as the air tank.The bracket that has "MPS" on it is the kill switch for drag racing. The last photo shows the air pressure gauge for the shifter and the Autometer shift light.

HPIM5877_zpsac992dd7.jpg

HPIM5873_zpse90e826b.jpg

HPIM5876_zpsaaeedf86.jpg

HPIM5874_zpseb7d4444.jpg

I'm at work today and have fabbed the brackets I need, finshed trimming the oil cooler, painted the adapter ring for the lock up and trimmed the new chain guard. I have stuff to work on for the weekend now.:D

Not sure if you're done posting or not.

I'm done so posting for today.

Awesome build up.

Thanks

I still don't get 'Sleeper ZX-12R'.

It's a concept of having a clean bike that doesn't readily reveal any of the mods done to it. I understand the terms sleeper & ZX12R don't really go together, but it's the best way to explain what I'm doing as a goal.

Are you going to be able to run boost and nitrous at the same time? I'd always thought they were more of a one or the other setup. I can only imagine tuning something on boost and trying to switch maps/timing for on/off nitrous.

I'm also sure it'll be plenty fast to leave your tongue dangling out your backside.

Are you going to be able to run boost and nitrous at the same time? I'd always thought they were more of a one or the other setup. I can only imagine tuning something on boost and trying to switch maps/timing for on/off nitrous.

I'm also sure it'll be plenty fast to leave your tongue dangling out your backside.

For all practical purposes: No. I'm throwing around the idea of using it as an intercooler for the turbo though. That would be down the road when real boost is thrown at the bike. For now it'll be low boost (5-7 psi).

Gorgeous man, I love Kawi and you just put a monster turbo on that thing. What kind of boost are you planning on pushing? And just be careful with that turbo in twisties. Going through a turn and she spools I wouldn't want it to make you lose traction. But awesome bike man, awesome!

Gorgeous man, I love Kawi and you just put a monster turbo on that thing. What kind of boost are you planning on pushing?

Thanks. It's only going to be 5 to 7 psi of boost

And just be careful with that turbo in twisties. Going through a turn and she spools I wouldn't want it to make you lose traction. But awesome bike man, awesome!

I have my ZX7's for the twisty stuff. This bike is strictly a time compression device ( daily commuter for work) and the occasional dragstrip weapon.

Got any mile plans for that beast? Be cool to see how long her legs really are
Would be cool to see it run at the mile

Currently have an ex-AMA superbike ZX7R with a 950cc formula extreme engine I plan to build and run at the mile. I might put this one there eventually, but the 950 is first (hopefully). It's currently a bare frame and several tubs full of parts....:cry:

Mike, you're one :bow:crafty guy. Hell of a build!

Thanks! You guys are way too kind.

Edited by 2fat2fly

Wow. ZX-12R sleeper? Those things are pretty bad in stock trim!

That turbo'd12R will completely leave my portly self wringing the ZX14 for everything its got, so he's gonna make me need to run VP, a drag map, and my wife as the pilot just to keep from losing as badly :lol: